Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Satan's special brews


The other day, I turned on the television looking for something to watch. Since getting nationphone on my computer, I never watch Belgian TV. Why watch Bold and the Beautiful reruns when I can watch reality reruns on Bravo? However, I am a sucker for '80s sitcoms and seeing that Different Strokes was coming on I got excited. Anyone who grew up in the 1980's will fondly remember the show. Everyone loved the Drummonds and little Arnold was just so cute. You could say, this show was groundbreaking as it explored a multiracial family. The excitement was short lived, as I realized since the show was airing on a French TV channel it would be dubbed. However, I wanted to at least listen to the opening credits since it was classic. Here is the first stanza and chorus to jog your memory:

"Now, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum, what might be right for you, may not be right for some. A man is born, he's a man of means. Then along came two, they got nothing but their jeans. But they got Diff'rent Strokes. It takes Diff'rent Strokes. It takes Diff'rent Strokes to move the world."

As the tune started, I started to sing but I was out of sync. Why? Because the song was translated into French!! I was shocked. This was the first time I heard opening credits of an American show translated into another language. The song sounded so ridiculous. Shame on you!

I am not sure why I was so surprised because earlier in the day I heard the 1965 song "It's the same old song" by the Four Tops sung in French. I am not sure why anyone would do this. Do the French speakers really abhor the English language? I understand the French wanting to preserve their language and culture but it becomes ridiculous when anything imported from States gets dubbed and translated. Ironically, I heard this song sitting in a McDonald's Cafe in Brussels sipping a pretty good cappuccino. It never ceases to amaze me when I flip through the channels and see Law and Order dubbed in German or 90210 in French. I understand that non native English speakers want to enjoy these wonderful American imports but listening to gritty New York street cops speak German is not the same. It is comical when California teenagers speak French. It doesn't match up. Such are the issues facing this expat.




Today I am reviewing a Satan brew. He brews some good beer. Not Satan the devil but Satan the Belgian brand of beer. Anything with a name like Satan is worth trying at least once. Aside from the scary devil on the bottle, there is nothing scary about this brew. Satan's Gold is 8% alcohol and is a typical Belgian golden blond beer. The finish is slightly bitter but nothing too hellish. I would definitely drink some more of this brew. Don't be scared and try it out. Just don't use the excuse that the Devil made y0u do it!!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment