Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Back from Vacay

There is nothing like coming back from vacation with mementos to remember the trip. I have one of the best souvenirs- a lower back ache. Aren't vacations supposed to be relaxing? Sometimes you need a vacation to recover from the actual vacation. That is why, I left the baby for longer in creche today. I was hoping to get some of the kinks out of my back but instead just got some more needed sleep. On the bright side, the weather here in Brussels looks brighter than usual. I guess spring really does come to Belgium.
After we checked in our luggage, went through passport control (yeah) and went through four hundred metal detectors, the family was able to enjoy some time at the airport before takeoff. By the way, do you know the name of the largest airport here in Belgium? Brussels Airport! I kid you not. The biggest airport in the country is named after Brussels, the city. I am guessing that Belgians are so proud of Brussels that they want everyone who lands in Belgium to not forget it. I think it is sort of sad. In just Paris alone there is Charles De Gaulle and Orly Airport, New York City has JFK, Newark (in New Jersey) and La Guardia. But to give Belgium some credit, there is an airport in Liege called (surprise surprise) Liege Airport or the more formal name Liege Bierset. Back to hanging out the airport... luckily we had lounge access and decided to hang out in there until departures. As I was canvasing the lounge for coffee, I found the fridge with cold beverages. Along with the typical choices of water, soda and little bottles of vodka, I found the national Belgian drink- beer.
There was Leff Bruin next to tomato juice. While I did not partake in the beer since it was early in the morning, I opted for a coffee au lait, I bet if someone drank a beer at 7:30 AM no one here would give it a second thought. As my sister always says, "it's five o'clock somewhere!"

1 comment:

  1. Kriek is a popular morning beer :)
    Hey! Thanks for leaving the comment on expat-blog. Would LOVE it if you have some reviews on Belgian Beers. Have been SO busy that my blog kind of went to sleep ... check it out at www.belgian-beers.eu
    Let me know what you think and if you feel like drinking/tasting/writing up on the beers for the blog, would love to have you as a guest blogger.
    We could even meet on a sunny afternoon for drinks (my hubby strongly supports the beer-hobby!)
    Andreea

    ReplyDelete