Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Belgium dresses up its National Symbol today

The Mannequin Pis all dressed up.

Today was one of those days where I just decided to take the baby and walk. I had no idea where I wanted to go but knew that I was in the mood to see something. The baby and I set out from Place Luxembourg and just walked (or rather I pushed the baby in her pram). After reaching the end of Rue Luxembourg, I crossed over and began walking towards the Royal Palace. The Palace is smack in the middle of the city and traffic drives nonchalantly by this big house. The building as you can see is not the prettiest. To me it looks more like a parliamentary building than the King's house. The gardens looked as if they were on the verge of blooming.


The King's house




After the Palace, I made my way down towards the old city. The old city is always a fun place to visit, as it is always filled with tourists and there is a certain vibe that you don't find anywhere else in Brussels. The Grand Place with its big cobble stoned open space surrounded by typical Dutch buildings always seduces tourists. I think this is because it is one of the nicest places in the city to visit. After Grand Place, I decided to visit the Mannequin Pis. It is always fun to watch tourist snap pictures of a little urinating boy. Trust me, I was one of them when I first saw the statue. Now I just chuckle. Today was a lucky day because the statue was all dressed up.

To be honest, I had no idea who the statue was supposed to be. He looked like a bell hop. Readers, do you know who little pee pee is supposed to be? In any case, it was a nice surprise and of course I had to snap some shots.

When I first came to Belgium, I tried a beer called Mannequin Pis. Since I was not keeping the blog or recording my drinking then, I did not take notes but I thought mentioning this brand would be appropriate because of today's entry. Next time I go to my local Delhaize I am going to buy some bottles and review it in honor of the Mannequin Pis being all dressed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment