Tuesday, June 22, 2010

How not to weigh 800lbs in Belgium


Homemade chocolates at a chocolatier in Brugges

Just looking at these chocolates are making my mouth water. Anyone who has been Europe has been easily seduced by the crusty baguettes, flaky and buttery croissants and custard filled pastries. Just looking into a patisserie's window is enough to add 10 pounds to your thighs. When I was in Maastrict's Christmas Market it was hard to just eat one freshly fried warm apricot filled beignet (jelly donut) but willpower and an imaginary calorie count stopped me.

As I walk around this maze of a city called Brussels, it is hard not ogle the baked goods loving set out in the window. Fruit tarts, chocolate mousse and various custard filled treats are tempting but I just walk on by. When I go to my local bakery to buy fresh bread, my mouth always waters at the small little fruit tarts or eclairs filled with fresh vanilla custard. I sometime contemplate buying a small little pastry but I just take a deep breath and leave just with the bread. I do indulge but if indulging every day would be so unhealthy.

In Belgium, people eat pastries for breakfast. You often see people munching on pieces of a croissant or waffle from a paper bag as they wait for the bus or tram. Bacon and eggs or pancakes are not the breakfast norm. Which is healthier? Not sure. Bacon is loaded with fat and one can make the argument that if the croissant is "homemade" it could be healthier. Whatever....

Even going to the supermarket, you are tempted with cookies, freshly made packaged pastries and mousses and puddings. Again, it is easy to be tempted to fill a wagon with these goodies but the voice in my head tells me not to. Most of the time I listen. I believe everything in moderation. Depriving yourself will just make you gorge so if you want a little pastry, eat it but then eat healthy later on in the day. Life is too short to deprive yourself from freshly made Belgian waffles all the time!

How does beer fit in? Beer like other alcoholic beverages like wine and mixed cocktails has calories. I don't have numbers readily available but beer has sugar and carbohydrates. Beer is definitely a no-no when you diet unless it's lite. Like with chocolates and pastries, I drink beer in moderation. Since I live in Belgium it would be horrible if I had to give beer up so I don't drink it everyday but rather two or three times a week and never a whole bottle. This is my way of not weighing 800 pounds or about 400 kilos.

No comments:

Post a Comment