Saturday, June 12, 2010

A Wallonian Rooster, Secession and a boozy Policewoman




The Rooster is Wallonia's mascot! Are Wallonians stubborn and proud like a rooster?


Hello loyal readers! Sorry it has been eons since I last wrote. No excuse. Life in Brussels has been pretty much the same which is a good thing considering there is no federal government. But tomorrow that is all about to change. June 13, 2010 is election day. I am not going to pretend to understand Belgian politics because it is damn confusing. There is the government in Brussels, Flanders government, Wallonian and a couple of others as well. It boggles my mind. Since I live in Brussels, I have been fortunate enough to be exposed to both Flemish and Wallonian candidates. Who would I vote for if I was able to vote? Don't know.

Last weekend, we went to Leige for the weekend. It was our first time venturing into Wallonia and it was not as scary as I thought it would be (just kidding). Liege was a beautiful charming city with quaint little alleyways that led to dead ends with charming old houses and a river that reminded me of the Paris. It was interesting to see the Wallonian campaign posters. The above poster was plastered all over Liege. Apparently there is a party that wants to return the Wallonian region to France. Funny? Will it ever happen? Probably not but maybe wishful thinking for some Belgians!
On a lighter note relating to beer, my husband told me that on his way home from work yesterday, he saw something disturbingly funny. He saw a policewoman in full uniform, gun in holster outside her police car chugging a large can of Jupiler beer. Instinct told him not to take a picture of the policewoman for fear that she would arrest him. I am not sure if drinking beer in Belgium is considered really drinking since beer is considered more of a thirst quencher than something to get sloshed on. Any thoughts???

No comments:

Post a Comment