Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Happy Belated Bastille Day.

Traffic passing through Paris' famous Arc de Triumph
Belgians decide to have three arches in their look alike Arc de Triumph in Brussels' Parc Cinquantenaire.
Happy belated Bastille Day!! I had no idea that yesterday was a major celebration in France. I guess I am in my own little world called BELGIUM. However, coincidentally yesterday I went to Parc Cinquantaire (Park of the Fiftieth) or Jubelpark (Jubilee Park in Dutch). As soon I entered the park, I thought Paris. I am sure the Parisians would be pissed that I would compare anything in Brussels to their beloved Paris but it is a compliment. The arches reminded me of the Arch de Triumph times three. In 1880 the park was built to commemorate Belgium's fifty years of independence. The actual arches were built in 1905.
I was pretty impressed with the park. It was vast, green and clean. Of course there was the occasional crushed beer can on the ground but it's Belgium. There needs to be beer everywhere.
I would like to wish France a happy belated Bastille Day. I will have some french pastries in honor of this momentous occasion.


No comments:

Post a Comment